We survived Ike!

We got to my parents’ old house in west Spring early Friday morning. The drive up was quite quick as there was very little traffic on the main lanes before 7 am.

We started feeling the serious effects of the storm around midnight late Friday night, early Saturday morning. We lost power at the house around 2 am Saturday morning and we had not regained power there as of 3 pm on Sunday afternoon. The rain pounding and the winds were extremely high, pushing on the windows, and howling in the trees. I was in and out of sleep all Saturday morning.

By 8 am, the worst was over, but we still caught the tail end of the storm with high winds and heavy rain until the noon hour on Saturday. Not having power all day and night on Saturday made for a very uncomfortable night in the warm house, especially for Gabriel. Still, the little guy was a trooper and managed to get about 6 hours of sleep despite being soaked in perspiration all night.

By early Sunday afternoon, we got in touch with my cousin’s wife who was at home by herself in northern Spring. She regained power very early Sunday morning and invited us – cats and all – to stay. So we packed up and hit the road.

We almost didn’t make it. Two of the entrances to her neighborhood were covered in deep water that I didn’t feel either of our low vehicles should go through. Thankfully, there was a third entrance that got us there safely and dry.

So we’re in a safe place with power and a/c for the night, hopefully. Thankfully. I trust Gabe will sleep really well tonight.

Meanwhile, we heard from our neighbors who stayed in their home. They also survived ok. According to them, just about all the fences around the neighborhood are down, no power, some streets were flooded, most houses lost some shingles. We may or may not decide to head back Monday.

Ok, I’m signing off so Gabe can sleep. I may actually get some sleep tonight as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *