Hurricane Ike on Thursday 9/11

The 10 pm forecast from the National Weather Service has put Galveston dead center of the forecast track. We had already decided to evacuate in the wee hours of Friday morning, before dawn before this change. As far as I’ve heard, our town is not under mandatory evacuation, but rather a call for voluntary evacuations was issued. We managed to secure all but 2 of the windows with storm shutters today and we got the cars loaded with our supplies and other items. Early this afternoon, I lucked out and found a couple of local gas stations that still had gas so I filled up both cars.

So we’re hitting the road in a few hours. The only thing I’m worried about is traffic, but where we are going, there doesn’t appear to be any major backups. Also, at that hour of the day, there shouldn’t be as many people on the roads. We hope…

This will likely be my last full entry for the next few days. The fewer, the better. Not that I wish destruction on anyone else, but it sure would help us if the storm tracked a bit further north so that we’re on the dry side. I wouldn’t bet on it, though, and that’s why we’re evacuating.

Check out my Twitter sidebar for the latest updates. Wish us luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *